We had a packet of gnocchi (which we got from here), and after giving it some thought, I decided to serve it with a nice rib eye steak. Gnocchi are thick dough dumplings made from potato and flour, with a soft and chewy texture.
These gnocchi were easy to cook - just cook in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, or until the gnocchi floats to the top. I finished it off in the grill pan with some salted butter as well as white truffle butter and some corn and peas for texture and colour. They turned out really tasty and was a fantastic accompaniment to the steak. Would definitely buy this brand of gnocchi again in future!
Rib eye steak with truffled gnocchi
Recipe Video (watch in full screen here)
Rib Eye Steak with Truffled Gnocchi
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 1 minute
Cooking time: 8 minutes
2 x 300g rib eye steaks (1" thick)
Freshly ground pepper
Maldon salt or other sea salt
250g store-bought potato gnocchi
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen corn
White truffle butter
20g salted butter
1. Clean the steak under running water and pat very dry with kitchen towel. Season both sides with pepper and rub with 1 teaspoon of oil each.
La Molisana Gnocchi di Patate (RM8.40 per 500g pack)
2. In a large grill pan over high heat, add 1 teaspoon oil and wait until the pan/oil is smoking hot. Place the steak in the pan, and start your timer. Every minute, flip the steak. Cook to desired doneness - a 350g 1 inch steak will take about 4 1/2 minutes for medium doneness.
3. Remove steak from pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Season the steaks generously with salt.
4. Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Once boiling, add the gnocchi and cook for 2 minutes, or until the gnocchi float to the top and then lift out with a slotted spoon. Blanch the frozen vegetables for about 5-10 seconds.
5. In the same grill pan (from Step 3) over medium high heat, melt salted butter and then add the gnocchi. Saute for about 1 minute until the gnocchi are coated in butter, then add the corn and peas and then add a generous dollop of white truffle butter.
6. Serve steak with the gnocchi on the side.
If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates or Dayre for daily updates. Thanks :)