Saturday, November 3, 2012

Recipe: Mock Devonshire Cream

Devonshire cream also known as clotted cream is commonly produced in dairy farms in South West England, particularly in the counties of Cornwall and Devon.  It is a thick cream made with a minimum fat content of 55% by indirectly heating full-cream cow's milk using steam or a water bath and then leaving it in shallow pans to cool slowly. During this time, the cream content rises to the surface and forms 'clots', hence the name.

In KL, some of the high-end supermarkets stock Devonshire cream but even a small bottle is quite costly (and you can't always find them when you want them). Sometime ago, I bookmarked this recipe by Joy of Baking which is a nice substitute for Devonshire cream. It consists of beating mascarpone cheese and whipping cream with a little sugar and vanilla extract.


Mock Devonshire cream


I adapted the original recipe slightly - I used equal amounts of mascarpone and whipped cream. It is much thicker and richer than whipped cream, and works well with scones or strawberries (and many other desserts as I come to discover). Will share some recipes that you can pair this cream with soon.




Mock Devonshire cream
Recipe adapted from Joy of Baking
Preparation time: 4-5 minutes
Makes about 1 1/4 cup

100g mascarpone cheese
100g heavy whipping cream
1 tsp  pure vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp caster sugar

1. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and beat until the mixture holds its shape and looks like softly whipped cream. Use right away or cover and refrigerate the cream until serving time.


*This recipe was featured on Asian Food Channel's FB page on 8 Nov 2012.

21 comments:

  1. ...now ready for a mid-afternoon English cream tea! Bring out the scones and fruit jam! Yummmmm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I just need to make my own strawberry jam and I'll have the complete menu for afternoon tea ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Baby Sumo, the cream look so good, very smooth. I think it pair very well with cream puff or sandwich. :)

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo, this could be a useful recipe for many. sounds not too difficult to make :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now all I need is a tub of mascarpone ! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowadays I always use half a tub to make tiramisu and another half to make this.

      Delete
  5. Yen,can pass some cream to me please as I never try this b4

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that about Devonshire cream! Thanks for the recipe too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of cos nothing beats the real thing, but this is a pretty good substitute.

      Delete
  7. So rich, thick and creamy... never knew it was that easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just a mock version, I think real Devonshire cream is a lot harder to make. Mascarpone cheese is used in this recipe because it has similar texture to clotted cream.

      Delete
  8. That looks delicious! I must head over the bridge to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is new to me, never heard about Devonshire cream. Looking forward to your upcoming recipes with Devonshire cream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's not very common over here in Asia and only the Devonshire cream made in Devon can be called this name (ie cows must be from Devonshire). In the UK, the good tea houses usually serve their scones with Devonshire clotted cream.

      Delete
  10. This cream is new to me too, anyway it sound great !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love whipped cream, I saw it also here http://cake-fondan-fondant.blogspot.com/ similar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a useful recipe. The only problem we do not get mascarpone cheese very readily here. I'll need to make my own and try this recipe. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...