Friday, October 25, 2013

Recipe: Malaysian-style Bak Kut Teh v2.0 肉骨茶

Bak kut teh 肉骨茶, literally translated as "meat bone tea" is a staple in our family. We have this at least once a week, as it is simple to put together, tastes fantastic, and is nourishing. This is one of our children's Top 5 favorite Asian dishes, for sure.

In Malaysia, you can get bak kut teh in a clear or thick soup, or even a dry version. We love them all, but at home, we tend to cook the clear soup version most.


Bak Kut Teh


For convenience (and we find it really good too!), we use the Eu Yan Sang bak kut teh sachets and have been doing so for the last 10 years. Simply place the sachet in a large pot of water along with your pork ribs (or other cuts of meat) and garlic and simmer for 2 hours.



I also like adding in 2 big bones 大骨 which I get from my butcher to the bak kut teh as this adds a lot of flavour to the soup. Other ingredients that I add in are shitake mushrooms and dried Goji berries. The soup is seasoned with light soy sauce and salt. Just before serving, you can choose to add more ingredients such as enoki mushrooms and tofu pok (beancurd puff) as well. To have a complete and balanced meal, serve the bak kut teh with lettuce and a bowl of rice.

A one-pot delight


Bak Kut Teh 肉骨茶
Recipe by Baby Sumo
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 2 1/4 hours
Serves 4

Ingredients
1 sachet of Eu Yan Sang Bak Kut Teh mixed herbs and spices
1-1.2 kg pork ribs (as your butcher to cut it into 3 inch lengths)
2 big bone (without any meat) 大骨
1 whole garlic
15-20 shitake mushrooms, soaked
1 tbsp dried Goji berries 枸杞
1.5l water
2-3 tbsp light soy sauce, to taste
1/2 tsp salt

To serve
Lettuce
1/2 bulb garlic, finely chopped
5-6 cili padi (birds eye chilli), finely chopped

Other optional ingredients
Tofu pok (beancurd puff)
Enoki mushrooms


1. Place all the ingredients except soy sauce/salt into a large pot and bring water to the boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer on low heat for 2 hours or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.



2. Season with soy sauce and salt, to taste and simmer for another 15 minutes.

3. Place lettuce in serving bowl, then ladle bak kut teh soup/ribs/mushroom into the bowl. Serve with rice and a garlic-chilli dip.

Note: If you prefer your soup with a stronger herbal flavour, use 2 sachets of the mixed herbs and spices. You can also add in a few slices of dong quai 当归 (Angelica sinensis).





*I am submitting this to the Little Thumbs Up "Soy Beans" event organized by Bake for Happy Kids, my little favourite DIY and hosted by Mich of Piece of Cake. You can link your soy recipes here.


If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! Thanks :)

19 comments:

  1. hi yen, anyway you know how to make the oily garlic rice? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, if I am not mistaken, you need to use chicken/pork stock and shallot oil to make the rice. I can try it one of these days and let u know :)

      Delete
  2. homemade BKT, very cool! it definitely looks healthier than the BKT that are sold at eateries =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is pretty healthy as we choose lean pork ribs. Even quite a few gwailos tht we have fed this to loved it ;)

      Delete
  3. Today I just had BKT lunch with friends outside, ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! This is my favourite! One thing I must have with BKT, is the chili padi condiment. Have not tried the EYS brand, been ages since I last cooked this at home! Now I am craving for some BKT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried many brands, but this is our fav. Easily accessible too, I guess. I also need to have the garlic-chili for dipping my pork ribs :)

      Delete
  5. Never tried that. We have their shops here - maybe I can drop by one of them and grab hold of a box to try. Looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the things I brought with me when I went to study overseas. Taste of home when I'm feeling homesick :)

      Delete
  6. I don't think I've ever seen the dry version here but your version looks scrumptious! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to come to Klang one day and try the dry version. It's really flavorful and spicy!

      Delete
  7. Bak kut teh - one of my favs too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bak kut teh looks yummy! I would like to drink some soup down right away, just love the flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Yen,

    Yummmy bak kut teh!!! I'm going back to Singapore soon and hope to buy a couple of Eu Yan Sang bak kut teh sachets back to Melbourne :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! It's been ages since I last had BKT! Yours looks so good & appetizing! How I wish I get the BKT sachet over here. Have to tumpang my cousin when she's coming over ! hehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is nais. I wanna have this in the morning, every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please tell where I can get the spices for this dish. It looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I am not sure where u r based, but I usually get mine from Eu Yan Sang outlets. They come in a prepacked sachet form.

      Delete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...