Monday, June 23, 2014

Recipe: Banana Nut Muffins (Paula Deen)

It's very rare to find overripe bananas in my house, as my kids will usually finish them a couple of days after we buy them. This time, I hid 2 bananas in the fridge since I wanted to make muffins with them over the weekend.

Banana Nut Muffins


Since Cook Like a Star this month is Paula Deen, I searched for a banana muffin recipe and found this. I changed a few things, such as reducing the sugar from 1 cup to 1/3cup (bananas are naturally sweet) plus I substituted 1/4 cup of walnuts with chocolate chips (my kids love them in muffins!). I also used walnuts in lieu of pecans since I have them in the fridge. This is an easy stir-and-bake recipe, so my kids could do it with minimal supervision.



The muffins were moist, nutty and just right in terms of sweetness. Thank you kids for making them!

On a separate note, my blog has surpassed 4 million hits today... thanks again for all your support! :D

Photobombed by a cutie! :D


Banana Nut Muffins 
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Paula Deen
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 18-20 minutes
Makes 12-13

Ingredients
2 cups plain flour
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup corn or vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 tbsp  milk
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chocolate chips



1.Preheat oven to 200°C (no fan) . Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.

2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.

3. In a separate bowl, combine banana, oil, eggs, and milk. Add the wet mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just incorporated. Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips.

4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool on wire rack.


Note: I reduced sugar from 1 cup to 1/3 cup and replaced 1/4 cup of walnuts with chocolate chips. You can also use pecans.





Loving my new mini mason drinking jar :)





I am linking this to Cook like a Star (Paula Deen and Deen brothers theme) organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce from Kitchen Flavours and Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe.


If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

17 comments:

  1. Those look great! Love the wrappers you used. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, such a cute photo-bombing ... more please!!! :D (the muffins look tasty too, i can imagine the fresh smell of them)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cute mini mason jar, and congratulations on hitting 4 millions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The muffins are so cute! yeah, I also won't leave the overripe bananas alone.... haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 millions hits already!!! Well done, Yen! :D

    I like your banana muffins and also your "photobombed" photo. Baby D is so cute!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love banana cakes & muffins. Go well with ice cream too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yen, I love banana muffins! But I have yet to try them with nuts as they are always out voted by chocolate chips :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love banana muffins. Love it even more when there are chocolate chips! Your kids have GREAT taste, Yen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The muffins look great. By the way, where did u get the mini mason jar from?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes! More banana and walnuts for me please :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your boy looks so cute there! Banana + nuts is such a great combination! Love your muffins very much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agreed with Jessie ... banana + nuts + choc chips ! Delicious muffins you've baked. Like your photos too !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Yen,
    Delightful muffins! Especially with banana and choc chips! I would reduce the sugar too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. 200 degrees? Really? That does nothing in 18-20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am also confused about 200 degrees
    Can't wait to get started

    ReplyDelete
  16. To clarify, it is 200C which is 400F.

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...