Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Recipe: Caramelised shallot & mushroom toasts (Gordon Ramsay)

I am loving Gordon Ramsay's "Fast Food" cookbook. So far the ones I have tried are really easy to make and taste really good. I made this caramelised shallot and mushroom toast from his book since I love these two ingredients. A simple, delicious brunch option.


I saved a few thick slices of the Champion Toast I baked the previous evening to make this. Shallots, garlic and thyme are sauteed together until the shallots are softened, then sugar is added to caramelise it slightly and finally mushrooms and butter are added to the pan. Then top it on your toasted bread and you have one healthy, delicious lunch!



I reckon a poached egg on top would work well too.





Caramelised shallot & mushroom toasts
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5-7 minutes
Serves 2


Ingredients
6 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 sprigs thyme, leaves only
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1/2 tsp caster sugar
200g white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tbsp butter
A splash of sherry vinegar (red wine vinegar)
A small handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 thick slices rustic white bread (I used Champion Toast)



1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots, crushed garlic and thyme, and saute for 2-3 minutes, until shallots are softened. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Add sugar and increase to high heat, stirring and cooking for 1-2 minutes, until the shallots are lightly caramelised.

3. Add the mushrooms and butter, then saute for a further 2 minutes, until cooked, then add a splash of red wine vinegar and season with more salt and pepper, as necessary. Discard the garlic, then add the parsley and mix well.

4. Toast the bread and place on two plates. Divide the shallot/mushrooms on top of the toast and serve immediately.





* I am submitting this to the "Cook Like Gordon Ramsay" event which I am co-hosting with Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Mich of Piece of Cake. To join, simply cook or bake any recipe from any Gordon Ramsay websites or cookbooks for the whole month of August 2014. You can link your posts at one of the host's pages.

Your post must be a current post i.e. posted in August 2014 - please do not link older posts.Please mention Cook like a Star in your post and link back to Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Mich of Piece of Cake and Baby Sumo of Eat your heart out.

Happy cooking! Do check out the other bloggers recipe below:





* I am submitting this post to "Cook-Your-Books #15" hosted by Joyce.

If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates. Thanks :)

10 comments:

  1. Hi Yen,

    Are you having a great time in Scotland? The weather must have been great! The end of summer and beginning of autumn is always a good time to travel :D

    Caramelized shallot with mushrooms on champion bread... This is my kind of toast!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo....fresh buttons! I like! Can't get them here and if there's any, they're usually rather black, not fresh anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. wah this one yummy leh. have me drooling. maybe will make this in the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the colour of your own-baked bread, and the selection of toppings seems to go so beautifully with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yen, caramelized shallots are always so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. with a side of bacon and I'll have this for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That mushroom mixture sure looks so good with crusty bread!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks good! Love mushrooms and caramelized shallots! Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect for weekend breakfast, I want to try this one of the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the inspiration! I prepared this using toasted Gardenia white bread, without the butter and sherry, and replacing thyme with basil (whatever that were in my kitchen!). My son and I devoured it for lunch.

    - JL

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...